Sunday, September 16, 2012

September 16, 2012

I’m late for a blog post. What do I do? What could I say that would be of interest to my cyber friends?

Hmmm..

Okay. I live in adventure valley, or so my mother always called it. There is rarely a week that goes by without something happening that will fire up the valley’s grapevine. Some times the news is horrendous; a fire, an accident or someone has taken sick. Then there are times when the news is wonderful; a couple got engaged or married, a baby is born or the news breaks and there will be a new baby, or a writer comes out of her closet and everyone learns she is writing romance. GRIN.

I love the happy weeks.

The valley’s grapevine news leads to drama and drama is what great plots are crocked full of. At my recent book signing a reader asked, “Where do you get your ideas from?” If you’re a writer reading this post, I’m sure you’ve had the same question asked of you. If you’re a reader, I’ll tell you what I told her. “All I have to do is look at the world around me and I get bombarded with ideas."

This week in adventure valley, my pastor did an act instead of his usual sermon during worship. It was hilarious, IMO, and got his biblical point across. I felt like clapping afterwards and yelling BRAVO! I think half the congregation did, but the other half might’ve had reservations about his approach to convey God’s message. If I was writing inspirational novels, I would certainly build on this scenario.

Maybe something like this…

Pastor Mark’s aftershave preceded him into the tiny sanctuary. “Jacob, what in the world were you thinking?”

Jacob finished snapping his robe and straitened its shoulders to fit the hanger before turning to face the senior pastor of this little Lutheran church, which he had hoped would be the place of his calling. That was until he had his wacky idea and instead of doing the sermon as he had written, he acted it out . By Pastor Mark’s tone he had just committed blaspheme. “Half the congregation was falling asleep. I thought I’d changed things up a bit.”

“We don’t change things up here. As soon as service was over, Lyondell Carson, jumped me.”

“Are you okay?” Jacob ceased his brow in playful concern.

“Don’t think I’m an old fool young man." Pastor Mark shook his finger at him. “Lyondell is the church council’s president. He is not happy with what went down here today. The council follows his lead on every decision."

“It sounds like the council members need to remember who they represent, the congregation.”

“Don’t be daft.”

A soft knock on the doorframe turned their heads.

Jacob’s heart leaped in his chest, staring into eyes as blue as the spring sky outside.

A shy smile tugged the woman’s pink lips before she turned her gaze to the older man. “Pastor, I’m sorry, to interrupt.”

“What is it, Maggie?”

“I just wanted to tell Pastor Jacob how much I enjoyed his sermon.”

“You did?” Jacob stepped around Pastor Mark and extended his hand. Electrical charges pulsed up his arm as she placed her delicate hand in his. “Thank you.”

“I truly hope the council approves your stay with us.”

He could get lost staring at this women’s angelic face. “Thank you, again.”

She pulled his hand from his. “I better go. The children are waiting.”

Children. Jacob’s heart throbbed once and dropped to his stomach. She was married?

He watched as she backed away and then stepped into the threshold himself to watch her walk down the church aisle. “Who is she?” he asked Pastor Mark.

“Lyondell Carson’s daughter. She teaches the pre-school Sunday class.”


And so the story begins...



There's only a few days to enter my Will You Be In My Next Book contest. It's easy. Just sign up for my newsletter and email me at autumnjordon@yahoo.com with PICK ME in the subject line. I'm not sure if I'll kill you off, but you never know. Send me your name. I'll pick one name before my next newsletter which is due out September 20 and announce the winner then. Tell your friends too!follow me and you're entered. One lucky winner will win a beautiful Autumn scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment