Monday, December 6, 2010

Hard Candy Christmas

I can handle holiday shopping, especially when the spirit of Christmas fills the air and finds its way into the hearts of the other shoppers. When a stranger smiles, remembers the manners his or her mother taught them and wishes you Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday, it’s magical.

Yesterday, my husband and I ventured outside of our small town and went to the big city for a few gifts that aren't stocked on our Five & Dime shelves in rural America and surprisingly that is exactly the experience we enjoyed. A true sense of Christmas.


Maybe it's the tough financial times we've all experienced over the past year that has made us realize what is truly important. It's not the number of gifts you receive or give on December 25th that is important but rather the smile and twinkle of the person offering you a hug and kiss, for no other reason than they love you. Even a cyber-hug.

It will be a hard-candy Christmas in my house. We’re watching our pennies, and I must say, I haven't been so excited about the festivities for a number of years. We are well. We have a warm home and the cupboard is not empty. So we’re good. And with the extra dollars we’ve found or been able to save, we’ve decided to help others instead of buying another toy or article of clothing that would most likely find its way into the spring yard sale box.

My happiest memory as a child was if the years when we received only one or two gifts and a candy cane or an orange. There wasn’t a pile of gifts. I remember them well. One year I received a fuzzy, pink housecoat and slippers. Another year a Susie Smart Doll. I loved that doll. And one year, Sants showed up early with a stereo and a Christmas album. On Christmas morning, we each received a record. I got the Beatles. I have wonderful memories of listening to the Christmas album my mom played over and over while baking sugar cut-out cookies and driving my parents nuts listening to Paul, John, George and Ringo.

My DH and I hope that what we’ve been able to put aside and give will make the season happy for a few others. Perphaps they will have a treasured memory.


So, as you shop, please remember the true meaning of the season. Find it in your hearts to help someone, and look others in the eye, smile and wish them all a Happy Holidays.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Autumn,

    Great post. I've found shoppers to be cheerful this season as well.

    And giving to others, not getting, is what this season is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. Just right for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, It just wasn't me. I'm so happy.

    Thanks, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a heartwarming post! Your last line says it all. Enjoy the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Deb. Visiting the LV area was truly great.


    I'm still thinking about the day and realized the men shopping seemed especially up-spirited. Could it be because their wives are cutting back or the promise made between the couple not to buy for each other this year got them off the hook of thinking of the perfect gift. ? Hmmm. Those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending Cyber-hugs your way! :) Have a Very Merry Christmas and may the Spirit of Christmas fill your home and New Year with Love and Joy! Miss you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same to you and your family, Melissa. I hope all is well and the kids haven't driven you completely crazy. I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a lot of people are finding themselves in the same spot in light of the economy this year. I hope they take the opportunity to look at all they have instead of what they don't, and consider themselves lucky! What a lovely attitude to have, and one I plan to adopt. Thanks for sharing!

    Lyndi Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Lyndi. I so agree and kudos. I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could the economy be a higher being's way of telling us to wake up, stop listening to the advertising media, forget about the gifts and cherish each other?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rita, Maybe you're right. I cherish your freindship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's what it's all about! Others! Why does it all take so long for people to get it? Helping someone in need is a wonderfully rewarding feeling. That's what Christmas is all about!

    ReplyDelete