Saturday, April 7, 2012

Where Did You Read?

Before B&N, before Borders, before Walden Books, before chain stores had a book section, people went to the library to pick out a book to enjoy for an afternoon or two weeks. A hardcover book. Only the wealthy had shelves of books.

I’m not wealthy, but I do have shelves of books. I have enough books to keep me reading non-stop for years. I have so many because 1) I’m an avid reader. 2) I can afford a mass-market book now and then. 3) I’m a writer and I’ve received many books from writer friends and conferences. And, I need to research the market so book purchases are sometimes necessary. I’m lucky.

However, there is nothing like walking into the library, smelling the volumes of paper, running my hands over the bindings and rejoicing that so many stories are there for my taking. It’s a high, I tell you.

It saddens me that there are those who cannot afford to purchase a book, much less an electronic device to download a free book. Books are essential for education of our youth, ourselves. The library is very important to them. Who knows, a future president or a future doctor who cures cancer, or someone who might marry your child, could be one of the masses that use the library today. Education is important to the well-being of our society and that is why it’s important for us to support our libraries.

Because of the poor economy, governmental funding for our libraries is stagnant, while operational costs are increasing. Yes, I know, what you are thinking. I can’t afford to give to another charity. But could you pack a lunch a few days this week and donate some of the money you saved to your library? Or could you take a few of those books on your shelf and donate them to your library. Is your library planning a fund raiser, maybe a bake sale or basket raffle? Could you donate items? Do you have an hour each week to donate your time? A lot of little aids add up to huge supports.

This week is National Library Week. April 8-14. Please consider helping them to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment